Saturday, January 18, 2014

Tumble and Fall by Alexandra Coutts

Synopsis: "A novel about the end of days full of surprising beginnings
The world is living in the shadow of oncoming disaster. An asteroid is set to strike the earth in just one week’s time; catastrophe is unavoidable. The question isn’t how to save the world—the question is, what to do with the time that's left? Against this stark backdrop, three island teens wrestle with intertwining stories of love, friendship and family—all with the ultimate stakes at hand. "




Title: Tumble and Fall
Series: None
Genre: YA, dystopian-I guess, romance
Pages: 372
Ages: 12-18 (but I don't recommend to anyone)
My Rating: 2 stars
My Word: VeryDissapointing (understatement)
My Fave Quote: (Honestly, I didn't have any)

Review
 

Hmmm... this book...was very hard to get through.

My expression throughout the whole book:

 
I have to say I thought this book was going to be good because the whole point of an asteroid falling and the last week of life on Earth would be suspenseful and full of action and-oh wait, that doesn't happen.

This book was kind of disappointing because all three of the characters' stories were just weird. Especially Caden's story; his dad was just not even realistic and better yet, his dad gets him a prostitute and makes fun of Caden when he couldn't have sex with her?! WTH?!

Sienna's story wasn't at all better. She falls in love with Owen in the first week she's seen him since she was like five? That was kind of freaky. It was especially unrealistic when Owen followed her home and they loved each other all happily in the end.

Finally, Zan's story was okay since she was more rational at the end, but seriously, she has to forget about Leo. She thinks that she made a huge mistake betraying Leo, who is dead, for kissing his friend. Girl, if you the world wasn't going to end, would you eventually move on or not? Even though I'm happy at least one of the stories ended with no lovey dovey stuff, I personally think there should've been only one relationship that actually worked in the book and that should be Nick and Zan.

Also, this bugged me more than it probably should've, but seriously why did all the of the characters acknowledge their parents with their first name? Just say "mom" or "dad". Ugh

There were some really confusing sentences in this book as well:

"There are two single beds built into the wall, meeting to form a giant L in the corner. He doesn't snore or mess up her things. Mostly, she's the one who has to worry about breathing the wrong way or accidentally messing up his" (40).
Okay umm... how do you breath the wrong way?

"Zan hustles to keep up, suddenly hyperaware that she and Nick are holding hands. She isn't sure when that started. Before crossing the street? During? Why? And more important, why isn't she letting go? (238).
Okay, if you're asking yourself why you aren't letting go of his hand then you might have some serious mental problems. Just let go of the hand!

"'Caden don't be ridiculous,' Arthur says quietly. 'What are you going to do? Take her home, and then what? Seduce her?' He laughs, bitter and dry. 'After your little performance with Camille, I can assure you that Sophie won't be impressed'" (268).
Let me remind you that this is a father talking to his son, and Camille was a prostitute that the father bought for him. I mean, I know the man is an asshole, but seriously? This is unrealistic.

"She's wearing a sleeveless yellow sundress, and Caden finds his eyes wandering to the neat, dark shadow between her small breasts" (245).
Okay, that seriously was not needed in the book.

"Over Denny's shoulder, she sees the kids from the neighborhood. They're each standing surrounded by other people, people with similar features, the same hair, the same broad shoulders. Families" (366).
Wow. Families.

Overall, this book was basically about stupid characters who each learn a "valuable life-changing lesson" in the end...too bad it's late to learn a life lesson since the end of the story is literally the end for them. I hate being harsh about books, but while I was reading this, I just couldn't stop guffawing because of the weird writing and the awfully stupid characters. I'm also trying not to be harsh when I say that I actually only liked the ending because they all probably die in the end and I'm not even swayed by any of it. Yeah...it was that bad. there's my honest review ._.
★★
 

No comments:

Post a Comment