Sunday, February 16, 2014

Fragments by Dan Wells

Synopsis: "Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence—it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.

The second installment in the pulse-pounding Partials saga is the story of the eleventh hour of humanity's time on Earth, a journey deep into places unknown to discover the means—and even more important, a reason—for our survival."


Title: Fragments
Series: Partial Sequence #2
Genre: Science Fiction, Suspense
Pages: 564
Ages: 14+
My Rating: 5 Stars
My Word(s): MindBlowing, VeryCalulated
My Fave Quote(s):



"None of this is by accident, and we have to figure out what it all means. She paused. We have to. It's the same old argument I used to have with Mkele: the present or the future. Sometimes you have to put the present through hell to get the future you want" (pg. unknown)
 
“I chose to follow you," he said, and his voice was deep and rich. "And I'll find you again" (561)            
 
    
Review
 
 THIS BOOK WAS MIND BLOWING
 


I have to admit, the first 100 pages or so were dragging on a bit, but once you get past that...


This book is the sequel to the amazing book Partials and it was even better than the first if that is possible.

I don't know where to begin...everything was so perfectly planned and it was all carefully calculated and just at the end I was like WHAAAAAT?!?!?!

Plot
The storyline was fantastic. I was getting a little annoyed with Marcus's story coming in during random parts of the story, but as the story progressed, I realized that it all made sense and it fit together very well. Kira's story dragged on a bit in the beginning as they were traveling, but then shit just went down once they reached their destination.

That's when things started to be mind blowing. Everything with Dr. Vale and the cure and the...the (view spoiler). Once the story got to there, it went from a three star book to a solid five star.

Literally as I was reading, my mouth was wide open and I was like "OH MY GOD OH MY GOD".

The Character
Let me just start by saying that I was waiting too long for that ending to come in the book with KIRA and SAMM.

I don't know how Dan Wells does it, but every little detail he puts into the book are so genius. He made all the humans actually feel human with their facial expressions and arm gestures and emphatic personalities. And he made the Partials seem human-but-not-human, like Samm feels strong emotions, but you can't actually see them because he is so used to using the Partial Link. If someone were to just look at him or talk to him, they'd see some stoic guy with an emotionless voice, but he actually feels and hurts and you can't tell. And he even tries leraning the human gestures and all WHICH MAKES ME LOVE SAMM EVEN MORE!

Kira...oh I love Kira, the "rebellious model" haha! She is so determined and aggressive and willing to sacrifice herself for mankind, and she was already added to my list of favorite main characters since the first book.

Basically Wells makes each person in this whole book different in so many ways that it feels so real. Heron, Marcus, Woolf, Samm, Kira, Afa, Dr. Vale, Calix, Phan, and so many more. Afa was literally the best out of all! :)

And one last thing. Kira and Samm's bond was PERFECT. It wasn't too much, like they weren't all "OMG I LOOOOVE YOU!!!" But it also wasn't too little. All Dan Wells did was add that little little thing in the end and that was literally all it needed for me to melt with happiness.

Overall I couldn't ask for a better sequel. The suspense, the deaths, the chaos, the feelings, and everything else mixed together made this story one of my favorites!
★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment