Thursday, August 14, 2014

Ruins (Partial Sequence #3) by Dan Wells

Synopsis: "Kira, Samm, and Marcus fight to prevent a final war between Partials and humans in the gripping final installment in the Partials Sequence, a series that combines the thrilling action of The Hunger Games with the provocative themes of Blade Runner and The Stand.

There is no avoiding it—the war to decide the fate of both humans and Partials is at hand. Both sides hold in their possession a weapon that could destroy the other, and Kira Walker has precious little time to prevent that from happening. She has one chance to save both species and the world with them, but it will only come at great personal cost"


Title: Ruins
Genre: Dystopia, Apocalyptic
Series: Partial Sequence #3
Pages: 451
Ages: 14+
My Rating: 4 stars
One Word: KiraWalkerIsBae
Fave Quote: "'Go ahead and kiss him,' said Marcus, throwing himself down behind the same car for cover. 'He saved our lives--if you don'ts kiss him, I'm going to'" (387).

Review
Like the other two books in the series, it took me a while to get through this book because of it's drawn out storyline and the amount of pages! But in the end, it totally pays off. I somehow knew it was going to happen to the last book of the Partials Sequence as well, but sadly, it wasn't as suspenseful or driven as the last two books. Nevertheless, I was still turning pages quickly.

I love Dan Well's writing, and this is why: it's not all about romance. The romance of this series was just an extra part to the even bigger storyline. Most dystopian novels nowadays will make the romance a huge deal and leave out the potentially great storylines because they believe that's all YA readers think about. Books like that are just not realistic at all. I mean, if there is a crazy dystopian storyline, such as an apocalypse or worse, then all I would be thinking is "Get the hell away, run! SHIT RUN!". Of course that's my personal preference, and usually books involve the main character as the heroine (AKA this book) instead of a character like me that would run and hide.

That being said, let us talk about our main heroine of the day, Kira Walker. I like this girl. A lot. Not because she gets all of the guys, (I mean, I would love me some of Marcus or Samm...) but because she never gave up on the future she believed in for the world. Even after all of the lost hope others had, she pursued her dream and pushed through a hell of a storm (literally). She would easily put herself first if it meant saving the world, and she spoke out her beliefs and would defy anyone who thought otherwise. I look up to this woman because oh how I wish I had the courage to do that.

Samm and Marcus were both very different. Marcus; the fun, talkative, no-awkward-conversations with him, "I-pretend-to-be-arrogant-but-I'm-not" kind of guy

"I'm glad we could have a tearful reunion before I crapped my pants from fear." -Marcus Valencio (299)"

...and Samm; the "seems-emotionless-but-I'm-really-filled-with-feelings-and-I-care" guy. Ugh they were so different in every single way possible, but I loved them both. I was rooting for Kira and Samm to be together, but I personally liked Marcus the best (just not for Kira).

Anyway, there are plenty of characters that I could sit here and type about for days, but there is just not time. Heron was amazing in this book, Calix=eh, I would personally have liked to stab Armin (can't do that anymore though), Haru is the bomb, I loved all of Kira's sisters especially feisty Ariel and I feel so bad for Isolde.

I loved this series so much. The storyline was realistic and frightening at the same time. The question revolving around this book is about the difference between human and Partial. "Why am I human?" Just because one was born through a computer may not mean they don't have feelings or human morals. The heavy themes wrapped around this book such as the concept of being human, or the choice between right and wrong, had me thinking a lot.

Not only that, but with all of this new technology nowadays (I mean, 3-D printing, really??!), I feel like anything can happen. All that I can think of is when the time comes where a new computer-generated species comes to life and the world is ending, I will be a Kira Walker (as long as I don't crap my pants first).
★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment