Saturday, November 15, 2014

Where She Went (If I Stay #2) by Gayle Forman

Synopsis: "It's been three years since the devastating accident . . . three years since Mia walked out of Adam's life forever.

Now living on opposite coasts, Mia is Juilliard's rising star and Adam is LA tabloid fodder, thanks to his new rock star status and celebrity girlfriend. When Adam gets stuck in New York by himself, chance brings the couple together again, for one last night. As they explore the city that has become Mia's home, Adam and Mia revisit the past and open their hearts to the future-and each other.

Told from Adam's point of view in the spare, lyrical prose that defined If I Stay, Where She Went explores the devastation of grief, the promise of new hope, and the flame of rekindled romance."

Title: Where She Went
Genre: YA Contemporary, romance
Series: If I Stay #2
Ages: 14+
Pages: 260
My Rating: 4 stars
One Word: Fascinating
Fave Quote: "'How? How, Adam? How could I know that?'
I'm not sure if the question's rhetorical or if she thinks I have a clue to her metaphysical mystery. And I'm in no state to answer either way because I'm crying. I don't realize it till I taste the salt against my lips. I can't remember the last time I've cried but, once I accept the mortification of sniveling like a baby, the floodgates open and I'm sobbing now, in front of Mia. In front of the whole damn world" (210).

Review
Where She Went is a beautifully crafted novel of love. It's fascinating the way Gayle Forman writes the novel so that it falls all in a 24 hour timespan, with memories added here and there just like the first book.

I truly liked this book, and I thought it was better than the first. It really described Mia and Adam's love to an extent where the first book hadn't. However, if I were Adam I would've actually been mad at Mia for putting him through the pain of rejection for three years. And then when Adam shows up at her concert, she just conveniently comes up to him and talks to him. What if Adam never went to that concert? Would she have gone after him? That was the only thing that really bugged me during the book, the thought that Mia may have never told Adam how she felt if Adam never went to her concert.

This book was everything and nothing at the same time. I mean, a 24 hour timespan, how much can you put into a book? Gayle Forman fulfills it's beauty by adding feelings of rejection, memories of the past, and rekindled love. I gave this book 4 stars because of Adam's feelings and how real they felt when I read them and how it made me sympathize for him. Mia, on the other hand wasn't as great as I liked her in the first book.
★★

No comments:

Post a Comment