Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Fever (The Chemical Garden #2) by Lauren DeStefano

Synopsis: "Rhine and Gabriel have escaped the mansion, but danger is never far behind.

Running away brings Rhine and Gabriel right into a trap, in the form of a twisted carnival whose ringmistress keeps watch over a menagerie of girls. Just as Rhine uncovers what plans await her, her fortune turns again. With Gabriel at her side, Rhine travels through an environment as grim as the one she left a year ago - surroundings that mirror her own feelings of fear and hopelessness.

The two are determined to get to Manhattan, to relative safety with Rhine’s twin brother, Rowan. But the road there is long and perilous - and in a world where young women only live to age twenty and young men die at twenty-five, time is precious. Worse still, they can’t seem to elude Rhine’s father-in-law, Vaughn, who is determined to bring Rhine back to the mansion...by any means necessary.

In the sequel to Lauren DeStefano’s harrowing Wither, Rhine must decide if freedom is worth the price - now that she has more to lose than ever."


Title: Fever
Genre: Science Fiction
Series: The Chemical Garden #2
Pages: 341
Ages: 14+
My Rating: 4 stars
One Word: WhatAHorribleLife
Fave Quote: "Instead she takes a long moment, then says, 'I would love for Maddie to stay with me. Is that why you brought her here?'
And there lies the heart of my anger, and this persistent heartsick feeling like a lead weight on my chest. 'We brought her here,' I say, very carefully, working through my disbelief, 'because we have no place else to go'" (214).
Review
I freaking hate this book. And then I love it because of how badly I want things to get better. And then I hate it again for not getting better. I was pulling my hair and grinding my teeth throughout the whole novel because of one bad thing after the other. They escape this awful event, but oh sorry, they land right in a new problem.

No, Rhine. What the actual fuck are you doing? I was thinking the whole time and when she is moping around I was gonna jump in and smack her across the face, until I realized...what happened. Well, you'll just have to read it. And the fact that Rhine never asked Gabriel how he was feeling or actually listen to his opinions instead of ignoring him and crying for her brother. Also, that...operation Rhine gets had me blinking like crazy and maybe, nearly, no- definitely about to throw up.

*Phew* now that I got that out of the way. I really loved this book! I know what you're thinking; you're probably like The hell. She just listed a thousand reasons why she hated it. That's true but although I hated those parts of the story, it caused me to fervently flip the pages. I needed some sort of consolation for these horrible things, and you know what I got? Nothing. Can't you see why I love that? Because I couldn't stop thinking about it. I mean, there had to be something to reprieve of those awful experiences that Rhine was drowning in, but there wasn't and it just got worse. Especially the end, you'd think it was hope for Rhine, but to me it just felt like another punch in a gut because there was nothing Rhine could do about what she found out in the end.

And Gabriel. It was such a bummer to not really get any good descriptions of him because Rhine was only thinking about her annoying brother (whom I'm sure I'll love if we ever meet him). But honestly I loved Gabriel since the first book and my heart melted whenever he was in the book (although very little -_-). He cares about Rhine so much and Rhine just uses him as a comforter whenever she's sad. She does help him when he is sick, but not when he feels depressed or mad, she can only ever say "sorry" enough.

Ooh, oh and the carnival! I thought in the beginning that's what the entire book would be about, but not even close. I'm happy about that because I would've been so annoyed if they were stuck in the "carnival" throughout the book. Even the first few pages got me anxious for them to escape. Since I'm mentioning the carnival, I'll just say Lilac and Maddie and Jared *sniffles* are the best "family" together.

Nonetheless the love of this book overpowered the hate, and I'm dying to get my hands on the final novel of the series. DeStefano really brings this story to life and the characters have true, raw emotions. There is no joking around in this book and I was scared to even read the next page, with new surprises nearly every second.

★★

No comments:

Post a Comment