Saturday, September 7, 2013

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer

Synopsis: "Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner."

Title: Scarlet
Series: The Lunar Chronicles #2
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian, Fantasy-ish, Romance <3
Pages: 452
Ages: 12+
My Rating: 5 Stars
My Word: Unthinkable
My Fave Quote:
" 'There you have it. As long as there's an alpha femal nearby, you should be just fine. That shouldn't be hard to find, right?'
            Wolf's expression iced over and he looked away. His tone became uneasy again. 'I know you must want nothing to do with me. I don't blame you.' Wolf scrunched up his shoulders, and met her with an expression full of regret. 'But you're the only one, Scarlet. You'll always be the only one.' " (P. 446)



Review
**WARNING: DO NOT GO BEYOND THIS POINT UNLESS YOU CAN HANDLE AN ABUNDANCE OF FANGIRLY WORDS BEYOND COMPREHENSION**

Right when I finished this book, I was so sure that I would give this book 5 stars, because mostly of Wolf and Thorne-the newest addition to the Lunar Chronicles. They were so bloody perfect that I just had to give this book five stars.

But then I'm like: Holly, you have to look at the book as a whole and rate it off of that. And, I still gave it 5 Stars. WHOOO!

I waited a YEAR for this book and now I have to wait another before the brand smacking new Cress comes out D:.

Marissa Meyer, I can't even describe how amazingly perfect you have blended the tale of Little Red Riding Hood into the mix of "Cinderella" dystopia-madness. Everything was PERFECT GAAHHHH this is me right now:


This book is so flawless-the plot, the twisted tale, and don't even get me started on the characters.

Despite what I just said about not starting on the characters, I NEED to get started on the characters. THEY'RE amazing. Cinder was always so witty and such a badass with a twist of humor in her from book one, and Kai was the prince who invited Cinder to the ball without caring what others thought about the decision, and I thought that was worthy of 5 stars, but all these new characters?

Scarlet, Wolf, Thorne-so amazingly perfect gahhh. The characters' personalities were so real. Scarlet is badass just like Cinder, and And Wolf...Wolf is quiet and shy, an attitude belied from the original Little Red Riding Hood. He is strong, though, not just physically, but mentally. He protected Scarlet from his own controlled thoughts by his "master". Also, Thorne is probably the best character. He's like the glue that keeps this whole book together; without his humorous and arrogant personality I would not have given this book 5 stars. Also, Kai didn't pop up in this second book as often as I'd like, but I'm sure he'll become a bigger part in Cress!!

Anyway, this plot was probably the most thoroughly considered storyline. I kept asking myself: How is Scarlet connected to Cinder? When will their storylines meet? It was so fascinating to read through it and figure everything out. Especially the whole Wolf thing based off the dystopia's technological root, that was very clever. Nonetheless, Marissa did a flawless job connecting her two versions of Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood and creating such a remarkable complete book.

Now, my review so far is kind of sucky, but who can blame me? I'm stuck in my after-reading-fangirling haze whilst trying to write a grammatically structured review at the same time. Let's just say that I loved this book, and I can't wait for the following book Cress in 2014.

Also, here is what I'd kind of like to say to Wolfe if he were not a fictional character:
But I know that him and Scarlet are a way better couple. *Forever alone*
★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment