Friday, August 30, 2013

City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments #1) by Cassandra Clare

Synopsis: "When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . .

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end."

Title: City of Bones
Series: The Mortal Instruments #1
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Pages: 485
Ages: 13-17
Date I Finished: August 30th, 2013 (SUMMER DON'T GO)
My Rating: 3.5 Stars
My Word: Creative (My word wasn't creative, but whatevs #lazystatus)
My Fave Quote:
"'Didn't I read your tea leaves, Shadowhunter? Have you fallen in love with the wrong person yet?'
           Jace said, 'Unfortunately, Lady of the Haven, my one true love remains myself,'
          Dorothea roared at that. 'At least,' she said, 'you don't have to worry about rejection, Jace Wayland.'
          'Not necessarily. I turn myself down occasionally, just to keep it interesting.'"
(P.345)


Review
 
I think I expected too much of this book. I mean, it was alright...very creative, nicely built characters, interesting plot (Shadowhunters who kill demons; they can't be seen unless you have the Sight); but I just don't think it was as good as I wanted it to be.

I had mixed feelings for Clary too. I liked her funny personality and witty comebacks, but I didn't think she was badass enough...and the name Clary wouldn't be on my top list of girl's names if I were choosing. Just saying :S. I loved Jace though! Simon got on my nerves, but he's hot in the movie ;). Also, the whole plot twist at the end got me by surprise, but the movie had a sort of different ending (what Hodge said to Valentine about lying) :O

Anyway, this book really didn't move me in the end. Also, the action parts weren't as shown as I wanted them to be; like I wanted it to seem visual. I liked the kind of chemistry between Jace and Clary because it wasn't sloppy, but it wasn't too little either.

The only reason this got 3.5 stars were because of Jace, Clary's mom (her mom is the definition of badass), the plot twist ending, and the whole concept of Sight. I wish I had the Sight like Clary and the rest of the Shadowhunters! Oh, and the beginning was very interesting too (and very suspenseful in the movie).
 
Although this first book didn't reach my expectations, I'm still curious to know what happens next so I'll be reading the second book: City of Ashes in the fall! :)
★★★1/2
 

No comments:

Post a Comment