Sunday, November 3, 2013

Unwind by Neal Shusterman

Synopsis: "In America after the Second Civil War, the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life armies came to an agreement: The Bill of Life states that human life may not be touched from the moment of conception until a child reaches the age of thirteen. Between the ages of thirteen and eighteen, however, a parent may choose to retroactively get rid of a child through a process called "unwinding." Unwinding ensures that the child's life doesn’t “technically” end by transplanting all the organs in the child's body to various recipients. Now a common and accepted practice in society, troublesome or unwanted teens are able to easily be unwound.

With breathtaking suspense, this book follows three teens who all become runaway Unwinds: Connor, a rebel whose parents have ordered his unwinding; Risa, a ward of the state who is to be unwound due to cost-cutting; and Lev, his parents' tenth child whose unwinding has been planned since birth as a religious tithing. As their paths intersect and lives hang in the balance, Shusterman examines serious moral issues in a way that will keep readers turning the pages to see if Connor, Risa, and Lev avoid meeting their untimely ends."

Title: Unwind
Series: Unwind Dystology #1
Genre: Science Fiction, Breathtaking, Inspiring, Suspense, CRAZINESS, YA
Pages: 335
Ages: 13+ I highly recommend this book for everyone 13 and older
My Rating: 5 Stars babayy
My Word: Breathtaking Suspense (as stated in the synopsis), Mind Blowing
My Fave Quote: 

"Unwinds didn't go out with a bang-they didn't even go out with a whimper. They went out with the silence of a candle flame pinched between two fingers" (95).

My review is below, and sorry for being so vague, but I'm trying to keep the details as limited as possible so I don't give anything away.

Ok, I finished Unwind, and can we just take a moment to let this soak in???!?!?!?!

Oh. My. God.

Those last twenty pages or so killed me. So much was going on, and no, just no. The whole ending made me want to scream. So much happened that I just can't comprehend it.

I don't even know what to say...I'm legit dying over this. Unwind has so many twists and turns throughout it in which Risa, Connor, and Lev experience. Every word had me turning pages for more. I could not believe how astonished this book made me. Every page of this book left me breathless and wanting more. I will never forget how this book has changed me.

Let's start with the characters. I loved them all. Risa-oh my goodness I love her, and her beautiful talent and the amazing relationship with her and CONNOR AHH I'm dying. Connor-He turned out to be the leader for all unwinds and I loved him throughout the whole book. Lev- In the beginning of the book, he was a little annoying because, obviously, he was brainwashed for thinking that tithing was a good thing. But near the end, he was so badass and freakin amazing that it just made up for everything. Roland-Was really annoying, but at the end my heart was literally aching for him. :O It was so creepy and amazing, yet sad.

The whole storyline amazed me, how one thing led to another. It was so cool how Risa, Connor, and Lev all met on that highway and they all grew, survived, and worked together. They got to know each other a lot, especially Connor and Risa. One of my favorite parts in the book was when Connor picked up the storked baby, and Risa and her had to take care of it. I love the baby's relationship with Risa, and how it cried when she left D:. And it was so amazing how everything connected. Like, Cyrus Finch and Lev at the end :O. And how they all ended up at the same place (view spoiler)for different reasons, and what happened to Roland at the end was kind of sad but kind of deserving, I'm not sure :'(. It was sosososo amazing, especially the ending.

Alright, the ending...:O:O:O I died. It still hasn't soaked in on what happened. EVERYTHING CHANGED at the end. It was so weird how Lev, Risa, and Connor all ended up at the same building, and...something not so great was about to happen there. Lev...oh my god. What Lev did is hard to comprehend still, like what even. Connor and Risa, that is so amazing how they both were in the same situation, and how Connor and Roland sort of "connected" (literally). That made me almost jump out of my seat when Connor found out about his arm--well, I can't give it away... Anyway, I love Risa for staying how she was at the end. And...I'm sorry but that ending literally changed everything in the book. Despite the really bad part of the ending that occurred, I really love how Connor took the Admiral's place at the "graveyard" and how Risa and him were still working together :'). But Lev's ending wasn't really the best, although he saved a lot of people :').

Overall, this book amazed me. How everything connected, and each character was phenomenal, and even the thought of unwinding actually being true creeps me out yet amazes me. I will never forget this crazy, amazing, mind-blowing book, and I'll definitely read the next book in the series.

P.S. sorry for the lack of organization is this review. It's hard to keep track of neatness and organization when I can't stop thinking about this book. It has changed me and inspired me, and I'll never forget it. :)
★★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment