Thursday, November 21, 2013

Allegiant (Divergent #3) by Veronica Roth


Synopsis: "The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories.

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love."


Title: Allegiant
Series: Divergent #3
Genre: Romance, Science Fiction, Dystopian, Very, very sad endings
Pages: 526
Ages: The ending is depressing, so I'd say 14+
My Rating: 4 Stars
My Word: Still Trying to Comprehend that ENDING
My Fave(s) Quote: Before I share some of my favorite quotes, I have to say, I loved too many quotes of this book so I'm only sharing a fraction of them:

"I suppose a fire that burns that bright is not meant to last" (492).

"When her body first hit the net, all I registered was a gray blur. I pulled her across it and her hand was small, but warm, and then she stood before me, short and thin and plain and in all ways unremarkable- except that she had jumped first. The stiff had jumped first.
Even I didn't jump first.
Her eyes were so stern, so insistent.
Beautiful"
(491).

ATTENTION: DON'T READ THE FOLLOWING QUOTE UNLESS YOU'VE READ THE BOOK
(I only like the below quote because of the way it was written, not WHY it was written.)
"I feel a thread tugging me again, but this time I know that it isn't some sinister force dragging me toward death.
This time I know it's my mother's hand drawing me into her arms.
And I go gladly into her embrace"
(476).

(Don't worry, there are no spoilers in this review)
Review

Dear ending,



Seriously why?

Let's be absolutely positively clear, I did not like the ending. I felt that it didn't have to be there at all to show get the point across. An ending for the Divergent series should not have been that extremely bad! And I don't care that maybe Veronica was trying to teach us that there may not be happy endings, and that selflessness does not always lead to a sense of accomplishment because we all know that the ending did not have to happen to show us this and I know that Tobias would agree with me here if he were real.

But, the thing is, I can't do anything to change the book, unless I deliberately go to Veronica's house and force her to reprint it. So, I have decided to agree to disagree about this, and that Veronica Roth is the owner of this book and gets to determine what shall happen with the main characters, even if that means freakin-- ugh wait no spoilers I forgot.

Of course, as you see, I've given the book four stars because this book wasn't that bad it's just that freaking ending that no one likes. (Seriously, please comment below if you actually liked that ending). That ending was just too harsh, Veronica Roth, and I think you know that.-.- I feel that the thing that occurred at the end not only left us hanging, but left us waiting, anticipating for something to happen, to make things better and of course that had not happen.

Putting that aside for the moment, let's move to characters! Yet again, Roth doesn't disappoint me with the characters. I love her style of writing and the beautiful metaphors and words she places so easily throughout the book. I love Tobias and Tris and their quirky, but serious nonetheless love connection, and I love Matthew, Christina, Zeke, Uriah D:, and even Peter for the brave thing he does to himself (at least I think it's brave). But out of all these characters, Tobias was the one who really hit my soft spot with the ending and all of his feelings mixed into one. I felt everything he felt in the end and I wish I could meet him one day--oh right, he's not real. But it feels like it is (thanks to Veronica's crazy awesome writing).

The meh
-Despite that awesome characters, I think Roth did a pretty bad job with Tobias' and Tris' first POV. Every time I read something about Tobias or Tris in a chapter that does not include 'I' or 'me', I'm like "Whaaat? Oh...this is Tris not Tobias" and vice versa.

-Also, the idea of GOING OUTSIDE OF THE FENCE I mean come on? Doesn't that seem so exciting/action packed/dangerously awesome?! But no, Veronica decides to pull the haha-it's-just-an-experiment-about-your-bloddy-bad-genes concept which I honestly was disappointed in.

Anyway, this book wasn't really that bad (but definitely worse than Divergent and even Insurgent). I'll hopefully learn to accept this book and how the series officially ends, yet if Veronica Roth is reading this, which I highly doubt, she must know that seriously what she did was not even essential! My tears should not go to fictional characters' deaths thank-you-very-much.

No comments:

Post a Comment