Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Obsidian (Lux #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Synopsis: "Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something... unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is."


Title: Obsidian
Series: Lux #1
Genre: Fantasy, YA, Romance
Pages: 358
Ages: 15-18
My Rating: 3 stars
One Word: Whaaaat IHopeINeverMeetDaemon
Fave Quote(s):
This is for my hate for Daemon >:)
"'Thanks,' I muttered and added under my breath, 'Douchebag.'
He laughed, deep and throaty. 'Now that's not very ladylike, Kittycat.'
I whipped around. 'Don't ever call me that,' I snapped.
'It's better than calling someone a douchebag, isn't it?'
He pushed out the door. 'This has been a stimulating visit. I'll cherish it for a long time to come.'
Okay. That was it. 'You know, you're right. How wrong of me to call you a douchebag. Because a douchebag is too nice of a word for you,' I said, smiling sweetly. 'You're a dickhead.'
'A dichkead?' he repeated. 'How charming.'
I flipped him off" (10).

And these are my favorite anti-romance quotes :D
"I'd brake-checked him several times.
He'd blown his horn.
It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside" (217).

"Daemon's laugh cut me off. 'I don't think that's a good idea. Funny, but not a good idea. Humans are fragile.'
'How about I shove my fragile foot up you ass,' I said" (300).


Review 
Is it just me? I had nagging feelings that Armentrout gave the main character a love for books-no an obsession for books-because she wanted us book lovers to for some reason relate to her and give this book 5 stars? ("I'm just like Katy! I love books! ZOMG now I know a hot alien guy is gonna come be my neighbor, and he's gonna 'accidently' see a video of my book blog and he will love me, and we's gon love each other for ever!1! OMG!")

Sorry, I just had to do that. I had that serious suspicion that that is the reason for Armentrout's main character's personality. *phew* no one get all personal with me now!

Oh and by the way, what's with this cocky daemon business? I think it has something to do with the name Daemon....Damon from the Vampire Diaries would agree with me:


I had mixed feelings about this book...I have no idea how I feel about it, so I've settled on 3 stars because some of the writing and descriptions were just awkward. I'm not gonna get into a whole schmeel about this now, but I'll just say that Dee was always crying (blah) and I literally hate Daemon with a burning passion (I mean seriously, "kitten"?! I would shoot him if he called me that). Plus, I don't understand why stopping a truck made Katy glow up like a Christmas tree, but doing all of that alien wacko stuff around her didn't make her light up as much? It doesn't add up right.

Let me get this straight for you all, I didn't hate this book! I mean, I got frustrated over the writing and the just really annoying Daemeon-attitude (ugggggh *facepalms*) but other than that, I laughed out loud a few times with the funny remarks, and the end was pretty suspenseful. And I gotta admit that the part of the book when Daemon was sleeping with Katy was actually adorable ("His face burrowed into the space between my neck and my shoulder, nuzzling. Sweet baby Jesus..." (291).) And why can't Daemon just admit his feelings for Katy?! Oh wait, because we have two more books to get through to admit that (damn you trilogies).

Anyway, enough of these negative comments, self! I thought the plot was pretty awesome, and the healing thing with Daemon and Katy definitely foreshadowed something. I'm seriously surprised that the gossip going around at their school about the "light people" are only rumors, considering that amount of action that happened (should have attracted some attention, no?)

Oh crap, I'm using too many parentheses. Well, let's just say that this was my first Armentrout book and I guess I had my expectations a little too high (especially since I met her at BookCon and she seemed pretty awesome) damn you parentheses! I did it again. Overall, I actually loved the storyline and it did have me turning pages, but the characters *coughcough* DAEMON just wanted me to punch myself over and over again with his cockiness and his braggines and his UGH EVERYTHINGNESS. He doesn't deserve to be hot, there I said it. Okay I should stop typing now...
★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment