Sunday, July 27, 2014

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi

Synopsis: "I have a curse
I have a gift

I am a monster
I'm more than human

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior."


Title: Shatter Me
Genre: Dystopian, Romance YA
Series: Shatter Me #1
Pages: 338
Ages: 15+
My Rating: 3.5 stars
One Word: INowLoveInsanePeople!!! <3
Fave Quote: “All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.”  

Review
 
This Review is Rated R for Language (oops)After all of the hype on this book, I knew I needed to read it.

And oh fuck.

Adam and Juliette's relationship was so hot, but it wasn't all about the relationship which made me love the book even more. I seriously hate it when dystopian books revolve around the love and relationship when it's supposed to be action-y and awesome like this book! Making the romance more subtle made it SO MUCH BETTER.

"His eyes pin me in place. His urgency ignites my bones. Rivulets of water snake their way down the polished planes of his face and his fingers press me up against the wall.
His lips his lips his lips his lips his lips
My eyes are fighting not to flutter
My legs are fighting not to tremble
My skin is scorched everywhere he's not touching me.
His lips are so close to my ear I'm water and nothing and everything and melting into a wanting so desperate it burns as I swallow it down" (116).


I gotta say, Tahereh Mafi knows how to describe how a girl feelings. SHIT.

Moving on, let's just say I am pretty impressed by this book, and already knowing that people loved it, it had my expectations high. I'm happy to say that I still thought this book was awesome even with my high expectations. Shatter Me had me feeling all sorts of things, I felt everything that Juliette was feeling, and fuck do I want an Adam of my own.

Even Mafi's writing; from the beginning when you can tell that Juliette is just a little insane (with the personification and the crossed out lines where you know she's in denial and going wacko in her head) to when she starts getting normal again after being with civilization. I love this whole storyline and I love Juliette and Adam and James and Kenji and yeah...

not so much Warner AND JULIETTE BETTER NOT START HAVING FEELINGS FOR HIM *ahem*

However, I felt like the suspenseful part where Juliette is trying to find Adam was just a little too coincidental... I was really thinking that they (AKA Warner and Co.) knew where Adam, Kenji, and Juliette were, but in the end it ended well.

The reason I gave this 3.5 stars was because I wasn't really hooked in like other books. The romance was phenomenal, but the action was a little...slow and predictable. Other than that, I really liked the book (especially the insane girl writing in the beginning) and we need more books with an insane protagonist! :D
★★★1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment