Saturday, August 23, 2014

Insanity by Susan Vaught

Synopsis: "Never, Kentucky is not your average scenic small town. It is a crossways, a place where the dead and the living can find no peace. Not that Forest, an 18-year-old foster kid who works the graveyard shift at Lincoln Hospital, knew this when she applied for the job. Lincoln is a huge state mental institution, a good place for Forest to make some money to pay for college. But along with hundreds of very unstable patients, it also has underground tunnels, bell towers that ring unexpectedly, and a closet that holds more than just donated clothing....When the dead husband of one of Forest's patients makes an appearance late one night, seemingly accompanied by an agent of the Devil, Forest loses all sense of reality and all sense of time. Terrified, she knows she has a part to play, and when she does so, she finds a heritage that she never expected.

With her deep knowledge of mental illness and mental institutions, Susan Vaught brings readers a fascinating and completely creepy new book intertwining the stories of three young people who find themselves haunted beyond imagining in the depths of Lincoln Hospital"


Title: Insanity
Genre: YA, paranormal, suspense
Series: None
Pages: 368
Ages: 14+
My Rating: 3.5 stars
One Word: RippingThroughThemPages
Fave Quote:
"The third time she asks me her question, it comes out so soft I barely hear it.
'What scares you Levi?' she whispers.
In my mind's eye, I see her just like she is, beautiful in more ways than I know how to talk about.
'You,' I finally tell her. 'I'm scared of how much I care about you'" (285).

Review
I liked this book a lot, Susan Vaught's writing was really great and I think the concept of this storyline is great but...
There are some good and bad things about this book that I need to discuss, and I need to start with the bad because I need to save the best (AKA the good) for last!

The Bad

- The four POVs. After reading Forest's POV, I was so sad that it moved on to Darius' POV so quickly. I really would've preferred to have it stay on one person's POV just so that I'm not more confused that I already am with this ghost and witchy voodoo stuff. When the POV changed, I felt like my connection with the previous characters' POV just disappeared like the ghosts. poof! My personal favorite character was Forest so I wish that Vaught would've kept the POV on her.

- The four different storylines. Not only were the POVs different, but each story was totally different. Yeah the characters were the same, but it felt like I was reading four separate novels and I would've really liked one nice, long story. With these four separate stories, it felt like there was a lack of character development and the progression between POV's was kind of choppy.

- Some parts in this story were just too confusing. Such as, the baby face guy in Trina's POV. It's not that that part was confusing per say, but it was just so random and unexpected that it left me thinking How did this guy come to play in the story? Why is he here? He entered to the story very randomly and very few questions were answered. And I was also very confused when Trina got all mad at Levi (started turning into different witches and hysterically laughing and all) for killing her father when he was already dead. I mean, she killed Levi! Damn her temper is short and I was so confused as to why she snapped so badly.

Noooowww.... The Good.

- Levi and Forest. I loved these two characters so much that I can't even express them in words. There connection is very subtle in Forest's POV, but in Levi's POV, when they have gotten to know each other over many years, it was so amazing. The connection was still subtle, but you could definitely tell it's there which is my favorite amount of romance in a novel.

- The suspense. This definitely goes on one of my favorite suspenseful novels, and suspense is my favorite genre. Each story had a different suspenseful moment that literally had me ripping pages (sorry library). The fighting and action and fright was filled with tension and incredibility.

- The end. Each story had a great ending, but my all time favorite was the end end AKA Levi's end. It was just so perfect and ommff Levi and Forest...


Well, to finish this off I can just say that I really liked this book and all of it's characters, I just mainly felt that if it was one big storyline, it would've added much more tension and even more suspense, love, and sacrifice. This novel was so creative and had me feeling the chills (especially when reading this on the downstairs couch alone at night...DON'T DO).
★★★1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment