Friday, July 10, 2015

Ship Breaker by Paolo Bacigalupi

Synopsis: "In America's Gulf Coast region, where grounded oil tankers are being broken down for parts, Nailer, a teenage boy, works the light crew, scavenging for copper wiring just to make quota--and hopefully live to see another day. But when, by luck or chance, he discovers an exquisite clipper ship beached during a recent hurricane, Nailer faces the most important decision of his life: Strip the ship for all it's worth or rescue its lone survivor, a beautiful and wealthy girl who could lead him to a better life..."

Title: Ship Breaker
Series: Ship Breaker #1
Genre: Futuristic, Adventure/Action
Pages: 326
Ages: 12+
My Rating: 3.5 stars
One Word: Crew up
Fave Quote: “I'm a chess piece. A pawn,' she said. 'I can be sacrificed, but I cannot be captured. To be captured would be the end of the game.”


Review
I picked this book up at the library for the heck of it, and I was quite surprised considering I hadn't had any expectations for it. Nailer was by far the best character with his distinctive and "abrupt" personality. Throughout the novel the reader can clearly depict each tough decision Nailer has to make, and each time, he attempts to make the conscientious choice even when the other choice will benefit himself personally. It's fascinating reading how Nailer teaches himself how to think of others instead of himself when everyone around him does or wants to do the exact opposite such as Pima, Sloth, the other crew, and especially his own father.

Of course, his decisions may have also been affected by Nita Chaudury AKA Miss Nita AKA Lucky Girl. Nita was a little annoying for me just because she thought she was better than everyone because she was rich and had "fifty servants waiting for [her] to ring a bell and bring [her] whatever [she] wants." Afterwards, however, she learned to toughen up and work like the lower class. I just wish she had the decency to not look at Nailer and Pima like they were a piece of trash right after they saved her lucky ass.

I thought it was great to walk into Bacigalupi's futuristic story of half-men and ship breakers and rich "swanks" like Nita. Even the littlest details held a different quality than most books, like their beliefs (the "Fates"), their speech, etc. I just love dipping into a totally different story than the real world today. It is definitely a quick an interesting read that's unlike any other science fiction novel that I have read. Now all I want is an adventure like Nailer's...when can I get some of his luck?
★★1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment