Tuesday, December 29, 2015

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Synopsis: "It’s just a small story really, about among other things: a girl, some words, an accordionist, some fanatical Germans, a Jewish fist-fighter, and quite a lot of thievery. . . .

Set during World War II in Germany, Markus Zusak’s groundbreaking new novel is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist–books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau.

This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul"

Title: The Book Thief
Series: ?
Genre: Historical Fiction
Pages: 552
Ages: 14+
My Rating: 5 stars
One Word: Epic
Fave Quote: In Review

Review

It took me FOREVER to get through this book due to my 20 lbs of schoolwork each day and due to how dense this book is!! I loved every single page of it though, from Death's little blurbs to the powerful yet simple endings to each chapter. What an amazing book, filled with joyful and heartbreaking moments.

Right from the words "HERE IS A SMALL FACT: you are going to die" (3) I was hooked into the mesmerizing story. I honestly do not know how Zusak does it, but he definitely amazed me with his creative writing style and vivid imagery (and not just because I watched the movie beforehand). My favorite quotes from the film were usually from Death himself:

“I’ve seen so many young men over the years who think they’re running at other young men. They are not. They’re running at me” (175).

Woah. Zusak you have opened my eyes.

While reading the novel, death both invigorated and petrified me, and that’s why Zusak’s writing is so breathtaking.

The character development was also spot on from Liesel to Rudy (the hair the color of lemons) to Papa to Max. I felt a strong emotion towards each character.

Overall, 10/10 would recommend

★★
★★


No comments:

Post a Comment