Saturday, August 18, 2012

This Is Not A Test by Courtney Summers

Synopsis: It’s the end of the world. Six students have taken cover in Cortege High but shelter is little comfort when the dead outside won’t stop pounding on the doors. One bite is all it takes to kill a person and bring them back as a monstrous version of their former self. To Sloane Price, that doesn’t sound so bad. Six months ago, her world collapsed and since then, she’s failed to find a reason to keep going. Now seems like the perfect time to give up. As Sloane eagerly waits for the barricades to fall, she’s forced to witness the apocalypse through the eyes of five people who actually want to live. But as the days crawl by, the motivations for survival change in startling ways and soon the group’s fate is determined less and less by what’s happening outside and more and more by the unpredictable and violent bids for life—and death—inside. When everything is gone, what do you hold on to?

Title: This Is Not A Test
Series: None
Genre: Paranormal, Fiction
Pages: 323
Ages: 13+
Date I Finished: August 16, 2012
My Rating: 4.5 Stars
Book Format: Paperback (I own)
My Word/Phrase: ZOMBIES.

Review:

"She thrashes under me and then suddenly she stills, seems to focus. She sees me. Her eyes get wide and there's something in them but I don't know what and I try so hard to understand it; I'm sorry. I can't do this anymore. Tears spill over my cheek and drip onto hers. The look in her eyes fades. She digs her hands into the sleeves of my shirt and rinds her teeth together. Her gaze flickers around the room as she tries to figure out a way she can be free from me, always. Even though she knows I'll die without her.
But maybe that's how it's supposed to be.
I drive the crowbar into her face."
(307)

One word: Zombies.
Two words: One school.
Three words: Try to survive.

Here's a shortened summary if the book: Surviving. Zombies. Lots of death.

Review: First off, SO many people died. It was sickening to think of this story coming to LIFE. Every time someone died, it broke a little piece of my heart. But, the people who survived, I just KNEW would survive and I'm happy they didn't die at least. I love romance so I'm also happy Summers put a little in the story.

Secondly, SUSPENSE. The first 50 pages reminded me of the movie The Breakfast Club, but instead of the teens trying to escape the school, they're trying to keep zombies from coming in. Also, instead of Saturday detention they are trying to hide from the zombie apocalypse. Once they left the school it was all SUSPENSE. I couldn't put the book down. And OMG the characters were AMAZING. I loved Rhys from the beginning okay. ;) I loved the difference between all characters and I loved the whole zombie-stuck-in-a-school idea. I especially liked Mr. Baxter's part in the story aha. :)
★★★★1/2


No comments:

Post a Comment