Saturday, April 6, 2013

Pandemonium (Delirium #2) by Lauren Oliver

Synopsis: "After falling in love, Lena and Alex flee their oppressive society where love is outlawed and everyone must receive the "cure" - an operation that makes them immune to the delirium of love - but Lena alone manages to find her way to a community of resistance fighters. Although she is bereft without the boy she loves, her struggles seem to be leading her toward a new love."

Title: Pandemonium
Series: Delirium #2
Genre: Science Fiction, Romance, OMFG AMAZING BOOK
Pages: 375
Ages: 14-18 (roughly around those ages)
Date I Finished: April 13th, 2013
My Rating: 5 (thousand) stars
My Word:LOVELOVELOVELOVELOVELOVE THIS BOOK AND JULENA (haha just made that up. Get it? Julian and Lena :') I crack myself up jkjk)

OKAY, before you start this long and capsy and quotey work of art down there just beware that this review is so screwed up. To try to organize it, I numbered each topic I want to say. I swear one day I will make a GOOD review with good vocabulary and writing...............yeah hopefully......

And I know I'm not supposed to retell stories in a book review so pleasepleaseplease don't read this review if you haven't read the book yet. I'M BEGGING YOU. This is more of a discussion review for readers who've already read the book!!!! Enjoy!

Here's a small review to the readers who haven't read the book yet: GO GET YOUR FEET OFF THE GROUND, SIT DOWN, AND READ THIS BOOK. Now once you've done that you may read the actual review.

Review:
"When I’m running, there’s always this split second when the pain is ripping through me and I can hardly breathe and all I see is color and blur—and in that split second, right as the pain crests, and becomes too much, and there’s a whiteness going through me, I see something to my left, a flicker of color […]—and I know then, too, that if I only turn my head he’ll be there, laughing, watching me, and holding out his arms.

I don’t ever turn my head to look, of course. But one day I will. One day I will, and he’ll be back, and everything will be okay.

And until then: I run.”


ALERT: MAJOR SPOILERS IN REVIEW. TOO LAZY TO HIDE THEM SO READ IF YOU ALREADY READ BOOK!!
This review is more like a discussion with quotes so seriously DON'T READ IF YOU HAVEN'T READ BOOK THIS IS YOUR 2ND AND LAST WARNING.
Also, another warning, there are a LOT of caps.(<--hehehe see what I did there?)

I LOVE LAUREN OLIVER'S WRITING. The beauty of words in this book pulls my insides out if that makes sense.

I have A LOT to cover in this review with quotes galore so bear with me!! :D I love this book too much!!!! Out of 5 stars, it was really hard for me to click the 5 because I would want to make it a BAJILLION STARS. Seriously, it has been TOO LONG since I read an actual really good book (AKA one of Lauren Oliver's books).

1) BTW TEAM JULLIAN. Ugh sorry I said "team blahblah" because now it sounds like Twilight and I never liked Twilight just saying. BUT seriously since Alex wasn't in this book until the veryveryveryvery end, I've grown to (*gasp* dare I say it) LOVE Julian and Lena together. I guess it's just the way he acts with her is adorable.

"'Are you cold?' Julian asks. 'A little,' I say... There's a pause and Julian rolls over onto his side and loops his arm around me, scooting forward so our bodies are pressed together, and I am cupped in the space around him. His heart beats through my back-a strange, stuttering rhythm. 'Aren't you worried about the delieria?' I ask him. 'Yes,' he says shortly. 'But I'm cold too.'...More silence. Finally, Julian says 'I'm scared.' He barely whispers it; but I can feel his lips moving against my neck, as though the words are being spelled there. 'I know,' I say, 'Me too.'... 'I'm less scared with you," Julian says." (236)

OMG SERIOUSLY THOSE TWO TOGETHER FOREVER.

2) Anyway, continuing with the story... MOST BEAUTIFUL WRITING EVER.

"Grief is like sinking, like being buried. I am in water the tawny color of kicked-up dirt. Every breath is full of choking. There is nothing to hold on to, no sides, no way to claw myself up. There is nothing to do but let go.

Let go. Feel the weight all around you, feel the squeezing of your lungs, the slow, low pressure. Let yourself go deeper. There is nothing but bottom. There is nothing but the taste of metal, and the echoes of old things, and days that look like darkness.”


And another quote....
"I read once about a kind of fungus that grows in trees. The fungus begins to encroach on the systems that carry water and nutrients up from the roots to the branches. It disables them one by one―it crowds them out. Soon, the fungus―and only the fungus―is carrying the water, and the chemicals, and everything else the tree needs to survive. At the same time it is decaying the tree slowly from within, turning it minute by minute to rot.
That is what hatred is. It will feed you and at the same time turn you to rot.
It is hard and deep and angular, a system of blockades. It is everything and total."


I seriously would add a billion more quotes, but I'm already using so many quotes. D: Lauren Oliver has the words of a goddess. Everything she writes is beautiful, even if it was when Blue died, she wrote it so beautifully :'(.

3)I loved Lauren's way of using the then's and now's as chapters because it made the story more powerful.

4) Characters: So many new characters were added to the second book! I love all of them. Tack, Hunter, Blue, Sarah, Lu, Raven, JULIAN, and more ugh. OMG I MISS HANA SO MUCH IT'S KILLING ME. Even though, if you read Hana, the prequel, she did something that I didn't approve of that hurt LENA, but it helped Lena find Julian so that they love each other <3. But Hana was really one of my favorite characters. I love Raven too, although sometimes she was a little too tough on Lena, but the end of the book I fell in love with her for what she did :).

5) OMFG THE ENDING. KILL ME NOW. UGH WHY. Okay, I thought I liked Alex and Lena together in Delirium, which I did, but the end of Pandemonium changed my feelings for him. Here's the quote refresher:

“Promise me we'll stay together, okay?" His eyes are once again the clear blue of a perfectly transparent pool. They are eyes to swim in, to float in, forever. "You and me."

"I promise," I say.

Behind us the door creaks open, and I turn around, expecting Raven, just as a voice cuts through the air: "Don't believe her."

The whole world closes around me, like an eyelid: For a moment, everything goes dark.

I am falling. My ears are full of rushing; I have been sucked into a tunnel, a place of pleasure and chaos. My head is about to explode.

He looks different. He is much thinner, and a scar runs from his eyebrow all the way down to his jaw. On his neck, just behind his left ear, a small tattooed number curves around the three-pronged scar that fooled me, for so long, into believing he was cured. His eyes-once a sweet, melted brown, like syrup-have hardened. Now they are stony, impenetrable.

Only his hair is the same: that auburn crown, like leaves in autumn.

Impossible. I close my eyes and reopen them: the boy from a dream, from a different lifetime. A boy brought back from the dead.

Alex"


BEST ENDING EVER yet why would Alex say "don't believe her"? Doesn't he know that Lena thought he was DEAD for 6 months? Didn't he ever think that she would HAVE to move on with her life?

Anyway, best book ever written and I'm not even kidding. Julian and her seriously are perfect and I'm mad that Alex is alive-_-. #TEAMJULIAN (Ugh I did it again and added a hashtag...not good)HA! Maybe Alex can be with Raven!
★★★★★(x 1,000)

No comments:

Post a Comment