Sunday, August 25, 2013

The Spectacular Now by Tim Tharp

Synopsis: "This National Book Award Finalist is now a major motion picture -- one of the most buzzed-about films at Sundance 2013, starring Shailene Woodley and Miles Teller.

SUTTER KEELY. HE’S the guy you want at your party. He’ll get everyone dancing. He’ ll get everyone in your parents’ pool. Okay, so he’s not exactly a shining academic star. He has no plans for college and will probably end up folding men’s shirts for a living. But there are plenty of ladies in town, and with the help of Dean Martin and Seagram’s V.O., life’s pretty fabuloso, actually.

Until the morning he wakes up on a random front lawn, and he meets Aimee. Aimee’s clueless. Aimee is a social disaster. Aimee needs help, and it’s up to the Sutterman to show Aimee a splendiferous time and then let her go forth and prosper. But Aimee’s not like other girls, and before long he’s in way over his head. For the first time in his life, he has the power to make a difference in someone else’s life—or ruin it forever."


Title: The Spectacular Now
Series: None
Genre: Inspiring, Romance, YA Contemporary
Pages: 294
Ages: 14+ (all ages over 14 I believe because it's so inspiring)
Date I Finished: August 25th, 2013
My Rating: 3 Stars
My Word: ChangedMyLife
My Fave Quote:
"Goodbye. Goodbye. I can't feel you anymore. The  night is almost too beautifully pure for my soul to contain. I walk with my arms spread open under the big fat moon. Heroic weeds rise up from the cracks in the sidewalk, and the colored lights of the Hawaiian Breeze ignite the broken glass in the gutter. Goodbye, I say, goodbye, as I disappear little by little into the middle of the middle of my own spectacular now." (P. 294)

Review
This book as a whole I rate as 3 stars, just because the first 100 pages bored me.

But, the second half of the story inspired me.

Who would've known a teenager like Sutter Keely would have the kindness in his heart to help a lonely, shy girl out? Just the thought of that gave me hope that not all guys go for the popular girls. Some guys realize that they can change a girl's life.

Sutter Keely did just that. He changed Aimee Finicky's life, and not just because he asked her out. Aimee saw depth in Sutter the way no other girl could; she didn't listen to him like he was a joke, but like he was worth something. And Sutter helped Aimee build up her courage, stand up to watch she believes, and fight for her dreams.

The two grew off each other. They needed each other's backs to help them become the best that they can be. That is what inspired me. A girl and a boy changing their lives for the better from the motivation-no- inspiration from their partner.

That's what I loved so much about this book. Also, the ending was one of my favorite sad endings in a book ever. I believe Sutter made the right choice because he knew Aimee deserved better; he was just the boy to help her realize that, and realize that she could do anything.

The only thing I really didn't love was the whole alcohol thing. Sutter was definitely at least slightly drunk half the time and Aimee started drinking a lot too which wasn't a great choice. But, the ending of course motivated him to limit his drinking.

All in all, this book inspired me by the way two people could help each other so much, and learn from each other. It almost brought tears to my eyes-- almost, but I am tougher than that haha. This book showed an experience that neither of them would forget. It changed their lives, and I can just imagine Aimee 10 years later reminiscing about Sutter Keely with a smile on her face and thinking that's the boy that change my life. I don't know, I get kind of sappy with these books, but I loved this book, and it definitely inspired me to help someone out when their life is being slowly drained away, because everyone has a chance to do what they love, and everyone's lives are worth it, they just have to live in the Spectacular Now.
★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment