Sunday, December 15, 2013

Partials (Partials #1) by Dan Wells

Synopsis: "The human race is all but extinct after a war with Partials—engineered organic beings identical to humans—has decimated the population. Reduced to only tens of thousands by RM, a weaponized virus to which only a fraction of humanity is immune, the survivors in North America have huddled together on Long Island while the Partials have mysteriously retreated. The threat of the Partials is still imminent, but, worse, no baby has been born immune to RM in more than a decade. Our time is running out.

Kira, a sixteen-year-old medic-in-training, is on the front lines of this battle, seeing RM ravage the community while mandatory pregnancy laws have pushed what's left of humanity to the brink of civil war, and she's not content to stand by and watch. But as she makes a desperate decision to save the last of her race, she will find that the survival of humans and Partials alike rests in her attempts to uncover the connections between them—connections that humanity has forgotten, or perhaps never even knew were there."


Title: Partials
Series: Partials #1
Genre: Science Fiction, YA, Romance-y-ish
Pages: 468
Ages: 14+ (just because it can be a little confusing...and guns and blood)
My Rating: 4 Stars
My Word(s): MadeMeThink, Science-y, DanWellsIsVerySmart
My Fave Quote: 
"Do I really know what I'm doing?" (378).            

Okay, wow....so many things went on in this book! :O

Let's start with the plot shall we? So it's basically about this young girl medic, Kira, who wants to save humanity from the infectious RM killing newborn babies. All humans believe that their computer-generated army people that once helped them fought for previous wars have now decided to kill all of the human population by spreading RM. These army people are called Partials (partially human I suppose) and throughout the whole story, Kira risks her life to find a cure for RM so humanity can live on, yet Kira later finds out that things were not always what she thought they were. Kira goes on some crazy adventures with her friends to find the cure and save humanity because that's the only way that she would finally get to live in peace. However, once Kira finds out new things, she realizes she will never look at herself as the person she once was again. Partials is one of those books that makes you stop and think what if? Throughout the story, we get to witness Kira's life turn upside down from beginning to end, and I think it was super fascinating to think what would life actually be like if this actually happened?

So now let's go to my opinion of this book. This is the most thought out plot that I've ever read, and I've now nominated Dan Wells to be the smartest author I know; seriously I could never think of even writing about all this scientific-y stuff going on with Kira's tests as se tries to find an antidote. Also, Wells thought of every little aspect that would probably happen to something like this if it were real life,-rebellions, the Voice, the Senate lying- all of this could easily happen in real life if something as crazy as the Partials being alive were to actually be true. I personally loved this plot because it was so different from anything I've ever read and it really expanded my line of thinking. I would never think of something like this ever happening to us humans, but now I'm thinking that it easily could.

Since I could go on forever writing about the plot, I've decided to quickly move on to the characters. In every book I read, the plot and the characters are the first priority to how I rate the book; I think it's how a book can be so good. Partials fit both aspects perfectly to what I would like to read in a book. All the characters were totally different. Like, Jayden the serious and skillful soldier; and Marcus, the humorous-serious when he wanted to be-boyfriend. I personally loved Xochi and Haru because they both made me laugh just because of the funny things that they said without meaning to! And lastly, Kira who was both brave and smart and selfless because she was willing to risk her life for a cure. These characters and many more blew me away because of how different they all are.

Through all Kira's adventures, I wanted to either scream at her or love her or jump up with joy. Any book that can make me feel different emotions to the main character really deserves higher than 3 stars. All in all, this book REALLY blew my expectations away, and the cliffhanger ending just makes me want to read the sequel, Fragment, as soon as possible.
Meanwhile, I'll be like this before I get to read Fragments:
★★★★

No comments:

Post a Comment